2017 Top Design Trends
So what’s replacing the old fads with fun, new ideas? Your friends will fawn over these fivetrends—from “jungalows” to jewel tones—that promise to hit it big in 2017. Want to be a showoff (the good kind)? Be the first to integrate them into your home.
1. Geometric patterns; Say goodbye to soft, gentle curves—funky geometric patterns will rule the roost in 2017. Embrace your memories of high school math with geometric throw pillows, wallpaper, and quirky planters. Large, mod geometric designs made an appearance in 2016 and will be a front-runner in 2017.
Scared this fun new style will feel out of place in your old-school home? Don’t be.
Don’t feel like your home needs to have all modern design to add geometric patterns. Geometrics even have a place in an industrial farmhouse–style home.
2. Jewel tones: Last year welcomed the bold return of art deco–inspired designs, and with them come luxurious jewel tones. Indulge your regal side with rich emerald chairs, bright sapphire walls, and amethyst accents.
These colors offer depth and a richness that will make space feel cozy, yet luxurious. Pair the designs with neutral, minimal wall colors for a toned-down take on the trend, or go wild and slather your entire living space in vivid color.
3. Tropical influences: It’s the year of the “jungalow.” Your new, jewel-toned walls will look fabulous alongside lush tropical plants: spider plants, Dracaena, and beautiful ferns.
Cursed with the blackest of thumbs? You can still embrace the tropical trend, which mixes printed and embellished textiles ranging from novelty fruits to animal print to palm fronds. Add accents in bright yellows, deep greens, and earthy oranges and reds to bring this creative look home.
4. Wood accents: We’re moving away from metal and back to an earthier feel. Wood accents will be everywhere in 2017.
No, we’re not talking about wood paneling (although that’s sneaking its way back, too). Look for modern wood clocks, sculptures, trays, and furniture that pair perfectly with today’s streamlined aesthetic. And yes, a lot of that wood will be reclaimed—so we can keep our wonderful forests.
5. Black stainless steel: Remodeling your kitchen in 2017? Now’s your chance to get ahead of a trend. Stainless-steel appliances have ruled the kitchen for years now. And why not? They’re sleek, easy to clean, and pretty. But it’s time for a change.
Black stainless steel is sleek, modern, and sophisticated. And even better: it’s not in all of your friends’ kitchens. Brushed stainless steel had its time, and now people are looking for a subtle change.